SERENDIPITY

Coincidence:
God's way of staying anonymous.

We thought this title fitting because of how the team was assembled by God.



Thursday, July 15, 2010

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

Wow! Good thing I didn't have any loose teeth today. They would surely have been shaken loose ...But first, I will tell you about how we got to this.

We began our morning at the Somebody Cares office for morning devotional with the staff. Today the theme was the importance of loving others, including those we perhaps don't like so much. Can we pray for those we don't love? Is it perhaps praying for others that helps us to love?

Our destination today was Mwawangwa, a village approximately 40min away. All was well for perhaps the first 15 min, then things i.e. the "road" began to deteriorate. Significantly. We had to slow down to a speed where even the cows were passing us. Those privileged to sit in the back needed to hang on to anything available to prevent their head from hitting the roof. At times we had to drive in the slope of the "ditch" that brought images of rolling to mind. Our "new" van started beautifully this morning (unlike the previous one that required frequent manual push starts). It was quite apparent that it was lacking in shocks as we drove down the dusty red country "roads" (tracks might be a better descriptor). Hence, there was a lot of shaking and rattling. The dust, shaking and rattling did nothing to deter our Malawian friends from singing all the way to the village.

Upon our arrival we were again greeted like royalty. Singing and dancing accompanied with handshakes, warm smiles and "Mulibwangi!" (Hi how are you?) It never ceases to amaze me how the young woman do all this with a young child strapped to their back.

Our team was responsible for teaching the Bible Study to the 140 widows that came to join us this morning. I discovered later that some of them had walked for hours with young children in tow to join us in the community centre today. Not surprising then that some of them fell asleep on the straw mats later while they were waiting for their "porridge". The children were also fed the same gruel. I had to contain myself not to be the paparazzi.

We then left on a visit with the Home Based Care workers to another village approximately 40 min. away from Mwangawanga. We were really out in the bush now. Upon our arrival at Chiwoko, were were again greeted warmly. The difference this time was that the men were also present. All the chiefs of the surrounding area and the head teacher. We were led into a very dark school house where I was fascinated with the tin roof that was punctured with hundreds of small holes that seemed wonderful for allowing in a trickle of light but I'm sure in the rainy season it would let in a torrent of rain. Several of the villagers then led us to the home of a man who was HIV positive and quite ill for the past 2 weeks. I have done many home visits and assessments of sick people in my lifetime but never like this. It was with some concern that I noticed Steve (staff of Somebody Cares) go into the man's hut, assist him into the "courtyard" to a straw mat, while other villagers at the same time found chairs for our team to sit on. All the while, other villagers were gathering around with one area full of children. Somebody Cares said a few words, turned things over to Lydia, who then turned things over to me. I was completely uncomfortable trying to assess him from 10 feet away while I was sitting on a chair and him on a mat so I asked for permission to go over and speak with him. Permission granted and I proceeded with my assessment. We found a few Tylenol but the most precious and probably most important thing was being able to pray for him. If there is one thing I am relearning in life it is the power and importance of prayer. I think he was crying through most of our visit.
After we left, his sadness permeated my soul. But, as I walked ahead of the team, I suddenly found myself surrounded by a crowd of laughing, bouncing children. Many, I'm sure were the same kids that sat at the feet of our patient. It struck me how while their lives are filled with hardship, they still have the ability to laugh and play. I decided to join them in this moment and started skipping down the dusty red road, clapping and singing along with them. I felt like the Pied Piper. Another memory I will treasure forever!

Coveting your prayers,

Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment